Pages

Friday, June 22, 2012

Sheep May Safely Graze: Free Recording

Growing up, one of my favorite pieces was Christopher Parkening's version of Sheep May Safely Graze. It's an amazing version of Bach's classic taken from Cantata No. 208. It requires extraordinary technical mastery of the guitar. I don't think it's possible to improve on Parkening's masterpiece.

And yet, here I am re-recording it! (Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery) When I set out to record it myself I wanted to look at it from a new perspective. My version is more meditative and explores the rich low resonances of the guitar. I was looking for warm comforting sounds, and trying to reflect the text of the original Cantata which reads:

(English): Sheep may safely graze where a good shepherd watches. Where rulers govern well we may feel peace and rest and what makes countries happy (German): Schafe können sicher weiden, Wo ein guter Hirte wacht. Wo Regenten wohl regieren, Kann man Ruh und Friede spüren Und was Länder glücklich macht.

Give it a listen, and feel free to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment